Search This Blog

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Eat Your Veggies - Farmers Market in the Inner City

I told you last week, I would tell you about YoYoYoMoo and Mr. Moo's amazing pepper flake spice.
Well....
Plans changed.
I  have been in the big city of Baltimore, Maryland this week for a work conference.
I didn't think to upload photos for blogging.
Lucky for you (and me), I happened onto an inner city Farmer's Market today!
I cannot tell you how excited I was to see this sign!
I seriously miss the noises and smell of the country and the ranch.
Not to mention, I miss Flower Boy and Drewman.
Although, I am loving the Inner Harbor and the food here.
The big city is much different than rural Oklahoma.
Much like the Farmer's Markets in our local area, this inner city market had a large variety of vendors.
Produce vendors are the main attraction to most farmers markets.
This inner city market did not disappoint!
 The aromas coming off these veggies are those of complete "fresh picked"!
This booth has paired with a local cafĂ© to prepare a salad menu, as well as sell their fresh veggies and greens.

I had a really nice chat with Russ of Shlagel Farms.
I only wish I would have had more time to spend with him, learning about the farm and the Farmer's Market processes here.
Russ was one of those vendors that provides the customers with education materials.
He gave me a Shlagel Farms flyer loaded with information about the farm, their history and the products they sell. 
 This is what pulled me to Russ's booth!
The EGGs!
 Being the CEW (Chief Egg Washer) at Drew's EGGcelent EGGs, anything with chickens or eggs draw me in for a visit.
Just look at the size of these leeks and beets!
And these greens!
 One could make one heck of a MOOdy Acres Breakfast with those!
We don't have broccoli at our local Farmer's Market, but we do have the squash.
 I wished I could have purchased some veggies and brought them home.
I had to settle for the marvelous blueberries, instead.
I have snacked on them all afternoon.
So Very Fresh!
There are also local bakers, canned items/jellies, meat and flower vendors, as well as  food vendors, at this Inner City Farmer's Market.
They also had entertainment from local artists!
There were several folks seated under the umbrellas enjoying their day.
If you haven't visited a Farmer's Market, you should search your area and check it out!
What a wonderful place to gather, eat lunch and buy your veggies for the week!
Such an educational place!
XOXO from the Big City,
Rancher Girl
PS, Don't forget to #EatYourVeggies


1 comment:

  1. Rancher Girl,
    You are so lucky! I would love to frequent a farmer's market. The closest market or bountiful basket point is an hour away from our ranch. What an awesome opportunity to visit with farmers and learn about big gardens.

    I am always drawn to chicken and egg stuff too.

    ReplyDelete