Search This Blog

Monday, July 1, 2013

1 Old Garden Hose and 201 Zip Ties

We go through several garden hoses each year.
There is a 200 foot stretch from the hydrant, in the front of our yard, to Drewman's chicken pens, in the back.
We do hope to alleviate that issue, in the future.
For now, we have garden hoses that run the distance.
When they lay out in the hot Oklahoma sun, they tend to burst.
I hate throwing them away or putting them in the burn pit.

I have been looking for a use for an old worn out garden hose, for a very long time.
I finally found one!

I made a basket out of a 100' garden hose and 201 zip ties!

Flower Boy thought I was crazy and shook his head, saying "NO!!" when I showed him my plan.
When I asked him to get the old hose from the burn pit, he drove off on the mower.
I think he is Pinterested out!
That's okay because I didn't need his help...
THIS TIME!

I started with the blunt or female end of the garden hose.
Wrapping the hose around the end twice.
 Adding a zip tie to each side.
I continued wrapping and adding a zip tie, to each side, as I wrapped.
Apparently, I work with my tongue out!
 I placed each zip tie next to the other, running them at an angle.
I didn't tighten the zip tie as tight as they could go.
Just tight enough to hold the wrap of the hose.
 12 wraps completed my base.
 I cut the zip tie ends off, at the base, of each tie.
 Then started building the walls.
 As I wrapped the walls, I added zip ties between the rows already completed, from the base.
 100 zip ties in!
 I continued to wrap the hose and adding zip ties.
Making sure the hose was tight, so the walls were secure.
Again, I didn't tighten the zip ties as tight as they could tighten.
I didn't want the hose collapsed at the tie.
200 ties!
 I added the final tie to hold down the male end of the hose.
201 ties!
 This project took only a few hours to complete.
(The time it took Flower Boy to mow our yard.)
I plan to use this basket as the trash container on our porch.
I didn't think a handle was necessary.
Maybe, I will add a handle to the next one.
I can think of so many uses for these baskets!

What do you think?
Am I crazy or was I just bored?
Either way, I had fun and enjoyed my Sunday afternoon!
AND
I gave new life to an old worn out garden hose!

Signed,
Crafty Rancher Girl

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/23/2013

    "Am I crazy or was I just bored?" Maybe a little of both, but crafty and genius are 2 better descriptions. Thanks for a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks awesome and it's an original~!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd have clipped the zip ties as I went, but other than that, I think it's a great and very original idea! I also think MY old red hose will look great as a basket for my green house! Thanks for sharing this great idea!
      Marcia Sasser

      Delete
  3. i just love your it and give a new life to that old hose...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claudette!
      I have two more old hoses, I need to do something with. I am thinking about trying to make a door mat.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6/27/2014

    I love it. Very creative. You r on to something good. Keep going with your creations, who knows where it will lead. U r 2 b proud, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME IDEA!! I LOVE IT! KEEP UP WITH YOUR CREATIVE IDEAS. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Much, Debra!
      My next project may include handles! I'm excited to start! I just need to find the time!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Such a great ideal for outside. Will last a long time out of sun. Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice and useful! I may try this...hope I can follow your instructions :)

    ReplyDelete