Search This Blog

Monday, February 22, 2016

Moo Cow Monday - Number 3 Cow

Graphic Photo

We had to get in one of our favorite cows.
 Number 3 is the first cow to the truck!
She is normally the one to stick her head in the window to say HI!

She had to be penned because she had a hurt foot.
She knocked it or scraped it on something, and possibly got a splinter.
 We noticed a bit of oozing from her pastern and thought it best to get her into the chute to take a closer look.
The injury didn't appear to be a major issue.

Flower Boy squeezed the gunk out of the wound.
The wound was like a pimple.
Once popped, the swelling was down and she was back to normal.
 Iodine was applied to the affected area.
She was also given a shot of antibiotics, to prevent further infection.

The cow never appeared to be injured or in pain.
    She never walked with a limp or favored the foot in anyway.
Our thought was to leave her in the pen for observation and return her to pasture the next day.

The next day, SHE WAS GONE!
She had broken out of the pen!
She actually broke through the cables of the pen.
This is not the photo of the break out area, but it is very close to what it looks like.

The hunt was on!
We searched the roads.
There was no sign of her.
We searched the creek.
There was no sign of her.
We talked to neighbors.
There was no sign of her.
We sent out messaged to surrounding cattle owners.
There was no sign of her.

The next morning, Flower Boy saddled Charlie Horse.
There was only one place she could have gone.
She had to be in the pasture south of the house.
You know...

The cows are due to start calving, February 26th.
It was possible that the stress of gathering her, penning her, placing her in the chute, and doctoring her foot, she could calve early.
Since cows like to hide when they give birth, the pasture south of the house was a likely hiding spot for her.

After a long hard ride, in extreme south winds, there was still no sign of number 3 cow!

Flower Boy did find a few tracks but nothing that assured us she was there.

The next morning, the girls and I made a 2.54 mile hike into and around the pasture!
We happened upon fresh tracks!
But still no sight of number 3!

Later that evening, when the wind died down, we entered the south side of the mile section, onto another property owner.
With their permission, we drove the property line and honked the horn.
Normally, if any of the cows hear the feed truck horn and the sound of the truck, they come running.
After about an hour of honking, more walking, and driving the property line, still no sign of number 3 cow!

We went on to do the other chores, with the thought that on our way back to the house, we would stop in another neighbors pasture and try honking at the west fence line.

I place a text to Cathy, the other property owner...
"Hey there!  Is it possible for us to go into your pasture and attempt to call up the cow?  We still haven't seen her."
"Sure thing!"
She provided directions through the pasture down to her south gate.

We had looked in her pasture the day before, but hadn't driven through the south gate.

As we drove through Cathy's pasture, I told Flower Boy, "STOP!"
"I think that is number 3 coming behind us!"
When you spend the amount of time we do with the cattle, you tend to know their walk.
Sure enough!
Here she came!
Nose in the cake spout and head at the window!

She had somehow crossed the fence and mated up with Cathy's cattle.
Such a relief to know she was safe!

Yesterday morning, we called all the cattle to Cathy's catch pen, and number 3 cow was returned to her herd!
The search was over!

Rancher Girl   

No comments:

Post a Comment